X-Dots on Leadership … Global AMP, IE Business School
June 15, 2023 at IE Business School, Madrid
Are you ready to lead the future?
The Global Advanced Management Program (Global AMP) is IE Business School’s flagship program for executives stepping up to lead the future of business.
It’s for leaders who are stepping up to become the next CEO, or maybe to join the C-suite, to run a business unit, or getting ready to do so. It’s for leaders who seek to be re-inspired, re-energised ready for an incredible future – to drive business-wide transformation, to reimagine their industry, to change the way their entire business and market works.
It’s for ambitious leaders, game changers, future makers.
If you can see yourself leading your business into the future … if you can start to imagine a business of the future, beyond that currently imagined by your leaders and peers. … then this is for you.
If you are intensely curious, positively dissatisfied, and highly ambitious … and have the courage to take on the next step, not just for you, but for your business too … then this is for you.
Our goal is to create the world’s best program for leaders like you … making sense of today’s incredible, complex and fast-changing world … and how you can have the brains and boldness to create, shape and deliver the future in your own vision.
Each year we take on a small group of 20-30 leaders and work together to help you transform your future. In the last two years, we have brought together some fantastic participants from all over the world, and many different sectors, ready to step up and shape their business, to lead their futures. They have gone on to thrive in their own worlds, and are still part of the Global AMP community. You can join them.
Step up to lead the post-pandemic future
The Global AMP is more relevant than ever, as the global Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted every market and business, demanding that leaders step up to think and act in new ways. As people around the world have shifted to digital technologies at home and work, we are likely to see an acceleration in new ways of working, new types of business, and new leaders.
The pandemic became a catalyst for innovation, not just to survive through crisis and uncertainty, but to adapt to a rapidly changing world. Indeed it is no surprise that 57% of companies are founded in a downturn, and most innovations are born out of crisis too. Now, more than ever is the time when business needs leaders with new mindsets, new skills, and who can combine advanced learning with simultaneous business transformation.
To make the Global AMP even more accessible, practical, and applied to the changing needs of you and your business, we have enhanced the format. It will now take on a much more “liquid” learning structure, so that you can continue to work, and accelerate your leadership development, during these uncertain yet important times. The program will combine online and physical formats over a longer period, enabling you to learn more, apply more, and get more practical value from the experience.
Topical, practical content
The content is entirely updated, anticipating the changing needs of business and its people as we emerge from the recent Covid-19 crisis, and through the next decade – from the megatrends that drive global markets and intelligent technologies, to the convergence of markets and emergence of new business models, new ways of working and the challenges of leading for today, and tomorrow.
We look to the companies who are shaping the world right now – from Alibaba and Aerofarms, to Babylon and Bytedance. We will learn from many different sectors – from the rapidly changing world of healthcare and finance, fashion and retail, manufacturing and technology. How are they being shaped by AI and digital platforms, by 3D printing and ecosystems, emerging markets and new consumer agendas?
Transforming your business, transforming yourself
The program takes on a more dynamic learning style, helping your to explore how to transform yourself and your business, for a world of rapid and continuous change.
We’ve structured the four weeks into a practical yet exciting journey through the world of business – starting from the future megatrends to today’s growth drivers, exploring a world of disruptive innovations and energising organisations. In the mornings we zig, we explore all the best new ideas business, what matters for business. In the afternoon we zag. We shift venue – to a more relaxed venue – to reflect on the personal leadership challenges. What does it mean for me, my business and our future?
Tranform! business simulation
The ultimate challenge for any business leader is to put all the ideas, strategies, projects together as a transformational program for the organisation over time.
The business simulation takes the format of an interactive game, playing with other students around the world, physically and online, over three months. It will focus on one particular, dynamic industry and be relevant to what is happening right now in the real world.
If you were the CEO of a leading business in that industry, what would you do? Imagine you are in the world of mobility – Elon Musk has just launched a partnership with Volkswagen, China is massively subsidising rapid adoption, safety regulation is changing, factories can not cope with the growth in demand, media and employees need to be kept on side.
In addition to exploring the very latest business ideas and theories, the program is highly personalised in two ways – coaching and project work. The “gamechanger” project is your opportunity to develop your own blueprint for transforming the future of your business, or a new business of your own.
You work one to one with the Academic Director in exploring and defining a new vision which you can take back, share with your business colleagues, and implement over time. It is supported by a Gamechanger Toolkit, and works alongside all modules, applying the learning to your own business, and future potential.
The one to one leadership coaching program helps you to make sense of your own strengths and style, and coaches work with you to develop this, to respond to the new needs, and to prepare to step up to business leadership. It starts with an in-depth diagnostic of your leadership attitudes and behaviours, and then your coach works with you over time, independent from the rest of the program, as this is specifically about you.
Phases 1 and 3 will be online, built around a 2-4 hour session each Friday. During these sessions we will bring together the best ideas from around the business world, with expert faculty, and also take you on “deep dives” into what is happening right now in some of the world’s leading businesses.
Phases 2 and 4 will be residential, one week in Segovia, a world heritage site in Spain, and one week in the capital, Madrid. These weeks will also feature leading faculty brought together from around the world, and also enable more time for group networking and collaboration with colleagues who typically come from many different industries and every part of the world. Week 4 concludes with your graduation at IE Business School.
Delivered by some of the world’s top business leaders and thinkers
We bring together the world’s most inspiring and thoughtful faculty. This year it additionally includes
- Jim Hagemann Snabe, chairman of Siemens and Maersk, author of Dreams and Details, one of the world’s top leaders.
- Tendayi Viki, a psychologist-based innovator, author of Pirates in the Navy, and partner of Strategyzer
- Christian Rangen, expert on business transformation, with both corporates and startups, especially in energy
- Antonio Nieto-Rodriguez , GSK’s top project manager, and author of The Project Revolution
- Terence Mauri, founder of the Hack Future Lab, former Saatchi and Saatchi planner and McKinsey advisor
- Mark Fritz, expert in leading change, author of Lead and Influence, having worked on four continents for Kodak
- Verónica Reyero, human anthropologist exploring a more human future, and founder of Anthropologia 2.0
- Mikael Trolle, former national coach of Denmark’s Volleyball team, and coach to many business leaders
They add to the existing IE Business School team that includes
- Peter Fisk, academic director of the Global AMP, bestselling author of Gamechangers, and Business Recoded
- Mark Esposito, technology futurist and AI pioneer, founder of Nexus FrontierTech, and works in UAE
- Marcos Cajina, founder of Renewal, that focuses on the neuroscience of emotional engagement for leaders
- Steven MacGregor, author of Chief Wellbeing Officer, founder of the Leadership Academy of Barcelona
- Conchita Galdon, expert in sustainability strategy and practice, and leader of IE’s think tank in ESG
- Ricardo Perez, technologist, researcher at MIT, focused on start-ups and emerging digital technologies
- Jaime Vega, consumer researcher, specialist in understanding fast changing markets and new consumer agendas
- Javier Bernad, helps leaders to present and perform better, from storytelling to keynotes, vision and action
Importantly, the Global AMP brings together a great mix of participants from across sectors and around the world, enhancing your personal network, and learning experience for everyone.
Examples of recent participants include:
- Finance, Head of Investment Banking, Portugal
- Technology, Regional Marketing Leader, Egypt
- Healthcare, Head of Clinical Development, Japan
- Drinks, Supply Chain Director, Mexico
- Airlines, Head of Network Development, UAE
- Technology, Customer Service Director, Mexico
- Energy, Corporate Strategy Director, Spain
- Mining, Innovation Director, South Africa
- Real Estate, Founder and CEO, Portugal
- Sustainable Investment Fund, CEO, France
- Healthcare, Senior Medical Advisor, USA
- Technology, Entrepreneur, Saudi Arabia
- Manufacturing, CEO and Chairman, Turkey
- NGO, Founder and Director, Kenya
All participants then join the exclusive Global AMP alumni network, including regular networking and ongoing resources.
Here are a few tasters of the expert faculty and their big ideas …
Jim Hagemann Snabe … one of the world’s top business leaders, on Dreams and Details:
Exploring the Future
Making sense of change, exploring megatrends and their implications for business, today and tomorrow, and making better choices for your future direction, are all essential to successful leadership. The rise of emerging markets, new technologies and next-generation audiences is accompanied by the increasing scarcity of resources, social fragmentation and climate change. The Fourth Industrial Revolution heralds a new era for business and society, from digitalization and automation to 3D printing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and robotics.
- Rocket ships: How will you lead the future, shape it in your own vision, and take your business on an uncertain journey towards a better tomorrow?
- Exponential technologies: Harnessing the potential of new capabilities, from digital and big data to biotech and nanotech as well as AI and robotics.
- Resource scarcity: Changing sources of energy, the peak of rare metals, high-tech components, patented technologies, talent and creativity.
- Human impacts: Rethinking work, education and employment, aging and healthcare, urbanization and belonging, wealth and happiness.
- Future shaping: Making sense of change and making better choices. Harnessing the value drivers and using scenario planning to shape the future you want.
Mark Esposito … the Canadian futurist explores the future as it unfolds:
Driving innovative growth
Markets are complex, competitive and dynamic. New markets emerge, and old markets decline, as new audiences, new aspirations and new possibilities drive new growth. Focusing on the best opportunities for growth becomes key to your future, and reimagining how your business can embrace them profitably. Digital markets have no limits, and allow even the smallest businesses to have a huge impact, while accelerating the convergence of sectors and businesses.– so what is your purpose, that will guide you through the future horizons of growth?
- Growth markets: Exploring the changing the nature of markets. Creating new spaces based on new customers and solutions, driving your growth horizons.
- Inspiring purpose: Finding your north star, why your business exists, and how putting purpose beyond profit, can transform your activities and success.
- Customer futures: Understanding the changing aspirations and behaviours of customers, with deeper insight to understand and engage them better.
- Platform markets: Harnessing the power of digital networks to create new market models that bring buyers and sellers together in new ways, creating new value.
- Growth accelerators: Consumer data, digital network, and new business models enable you to accelerate every aspect of business, and your future growth.
Tendayi Viki … the psychologist innovator creates the invincible company:
Transforming business faster
Disruption is everywhere, whether it’s a start-up challenging established giants, new technologies replacing inefficient processes, simplicity outperforming complexity or customers challenging businesses to do better. The impact can be dramatic. Reputations can be made and destroyed in a matter of days, while veteran companies are wiped off the map. How can you turn the tables and become the disrupter by developing insights, ideas, innovative strategies and business models that can be delivered quickly and efficiently?
- Faster innovation: Transforming ideas into new solutions, strategies into action, embracing disruptive change, to reimagine your future business.
- Creative designs: Harnessing the power of creativity, fused with deep insight, to design better solutions – products and services, experiences and business.
- Sustainable innovation: Innovating to solve the biggest social and environmental challenges, in a way that is good for the world, and more profitable too.
- Business Models: Rethinking how organisations work to deliver innovative propositions, leveraging assets and partners to create new ways of working.
- Invincible companies: Bringing together your innovation portfolio as a source of relentless progress and profitable growth for your business.
Antonio Nieto-Rodriguez … the world’s top project manager on leading transformation:
Leaders as performers and transformers
Organisations thrive on an inspiring purpose, aligned business model, innovation inside and outside, driving change and high performance. They constantly drive change and transformation, working through projects to create seize new opportunities. People are energised by a positive culture, harnessing the best talents of man and machine, with the agility to continually adapt and respond to changing markets, develop new capabilities and partnerships, and reach new heights. How can you transform, mobilise and energise your organization with a strategy to deliver the best performance today, and create an even better future?
- Winning strategies: Defining the right direction and priorities, guided by an inspiring purpose, and harnessing the drivers of value.
- Driving change: Making better, more strategic decisions every day, turning strategy into implementation, while using the right metrics and rewards, to drive transformation and performance.
- Fast and agile: Shaping organisations and processes to be agile and efficient, leveraging strengths and addressing weaknesses both internally and externally.
- Energising people: Mobilising employees to think and deliver strategy innovatively and profitably, unlocking the power of teams and humanity in a positive culture.
- Sustaining impact: Ensuring that the organisation has the capacity to renew and adapt to deliver shared value in the short and long term.
Verónica Reyero … the modern anthropologist, exploring better human futures:
Creating a better future
The best leaders amplify the potential of their teams and their business. By developing an effective leadership style, they can inspire, engage, connect and support to drive long-term direction and meet short-term goals. Leaders of the future will drive change in a way that unlocks talent and performance, constantly reinventing organisations. How will you lead yourself, your team and your business towards a better future, one that combines purpose with passion, profit and progress? This module is interspersed across the whole program, in order to connect with the many different business topics.
- Great leaders: Business are obsessed with leadership, but how do leaders really add value, engage people effectively and deliver better results?
- Authentic organizations: From corporate to personal reputations, how do you build trust and authenticity inside and outside the business?
- Talent beacons: How to attract, engage and retain the best people in an ideas-driven world – to nurture, motivate, and inspire them to create the future.
- High performance: Improving your personal and business wellbeing to drive high performance, physically and mentally, agile and resilient, with a winning mindset.
- Leadership style: Why should you be the leader? What do you have that will take your company further? And why will anyone want to be led by you?
Chris Rangen … Leading transformation:
Terence Mauri … being a courageous leader:
Steven MacGregor … well-being habits for leaders to start every day:
Download the new Global AMP Brochure